buying a dog
Before you decide which dog to buy, consider the following questions, as a minimum:
- Time you can make available to the dog?
- How often will the dog be left alone, and for how long?
- How big is the garden or exercise space?
- Is there a risk of escape?
- Will the dog be housed in indoors or an outside kennel?
- How much time will you be able exercise the dog?
- Do you want a dog that is playful and friendly pet or one that is a good guard dog?
- How much grooming and maintenance will the dog needed?
- How much time will you be willing to work with dog training and obedience?
- Will there be any small children around the dog?
- Do you have other other pets in the family?
- What is you budget for buying, feeding, caring and training for a dog?
- Which insurance will you go for?
- Puppy or Older
It is fair to say that most people give very optimistic answers to these question, hence why there are so many dogs needing re-homing, or destruction. Please be realistic when you consider these questions, and talk to other dog owners, local vet, RSPCA, local dog clubs; all of whom are always willing to share their experience.